State of DotNet

Chris Tavares cct at tavaresstudios.com
Sun May 18 20:46:29 EDT 2003

"Hung Jung Lu" <hungjunglu at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8ef9bea6.0305170548.68c567c2 at posting.google.com...

> Es ist moeglich. Aber it's not just newsgroups. Consider for instance
> Boston Globe's article:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/114/business/The_hype_has_faded_but_Micros
oft_still_hot_on_NET+.shtml

> "By now, millions of computers were supposed to be sharing data
> automatically over the Internet with the help of a new Microsoft Corp.
> technology called .NET, which was meant to transform the way people
> use computers. It hasn't happened. Indeed, after the initial hype,
> .NET has faded from public view. But .NET is still on Microsoft's
> radar scope, big and bright as ever."

That was the usual marketing hype. Personally, I think .NET fading from the
public view is a GOOD thing. .NET is a developer's technology. Believe me,
.NET is being hyped a plenty in the dev world.

> > I'm pretty sure .NET will be a great success for Microsoft, eventually.
>
> Is this like wie man sagt: "Brazil is the country of the future. And
> tomorrow it will continue to stay so."? :)
>
> > Hopefully, .NET won't have much impact on Python at all.
> > > Stick with VC6 for a while?
> > Stick with gcc on FreeBSD, for a while? ;-)
>
> Erh? VC7 a.k.a. VS.NET is out, then VC8, VC9, etc. Will Python stay
> with VC6 forever? That's the question. Klar?
>
> Given the unpopularity of .NET, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft
> keep their double effort in shipping Visual Studio with the
> native-vs-CLR option, for a while.

MS will always ship native compilers. They need something to write device
drivers and the CLR itself in if nothing else. Don't expect MFC to get much
in the way of maintenance, though.

> > So if all you target is Windows Clients (web- or thick clients) and
> > servers, .NET with Visual Studio is a very good option.
>
> On the enterprise server side, .NET is just a product, much like J2EE.
> Sure, they are important and quite useful. But that does not mean that
> every programmer will be using .NET or J2EE for all applications. Java
> as a viable generic language died a long time ago (why use a runtime
> when you can go native?) J2EE is a whole different world, it's more
> like a product (or what Microsoft would call "framework") than a
> language per se. On the other hand, the previous component technology
> COM applies not just to web/database. Asking all the COM people to
> move over to .NET is not gaining as much support as Microsoft would
> like to see.

Not my experience. I taught a COM/ATL class two weeks ago. Every student was
asking how they move their COM stuff forward to .NET. After seeing COM for
the first time, a few of them turned a little green at all the work. These
are the people .NET was designed for.