A little disappointed so far

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 19 14:28:02 EDT 2003

In article <y12ya.198768$K35.4781482 at news2.tin.it>, Alex Martelli
<aleax at aleax.it> writes
>I see that most of your assertions have been repeatedly answered (including
>this one with brief mentions of "Python in a Nutshell"), but (as the author
>of the latter) I have specific personal reasons to be very curious indeed
>about this one.  What could possibly prompt you to make it?  I.e., were you
>unaware of "Python in a Nutshell", or aware of it but choosing to entirely
>snub it for some specific reason?
>
>It's hardly been "kept under a bushel", after all -- it's been the
>best-selling Python book on both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk for months,
>for example (even though the UK reaction to it is distinctly more tepid
>than the US one -- and if I could find out whether this is due to some
>intrinsic issue, or to ones of marketing and promotion, I might perhaps be
>able to do better in the future).

I told my colleagues I wouldn't buy it last time I went to Foyles
Bookshop, but I did anyway. I think it covers more ground than the
Essential Reference and apart from some minor glitches is a nice book.

Alex's bark is worse than the bite (and he likes [g]vi[m]) and one thing
I would have liked in the book are more of his exotic pythonsnippets
(perhaps we should call them pythons, certainly not pe(a)rls). I see
only a few at the beginning.

The bird at Foyles certainly knew where to look for the book, but sadly
there were a lot of them there, so perhaps they're not selling all that
well.
--
Robin Becker