Textbooks?

P Gentry rdgentry1 at cablelynx.com
Fri May 2 14:37:08 EDT 2003

Steven Hodgen <steven at twitch.net> wrote in message news:<oproar1sjtx3zh5c at news.mindspring.com>...
<snip>
> However, Java is not a great language for beginners.  Python, on the other
> hand, is ideal.  If I can find a textbook that is even ok, I may consider
> changing, since the language is so much better for students at this level.
> Doesn anyone know of a book like this?  Ideally, it would have examples and
> excercises, and perhaps even a web-site with other instructor and student
> resources.

<snipped my education vent -- you should thank me!>

If you need a pre-canned course-in-a-textbook I think you're SOL in
regards to Python.  Then again, if your students have ready access to
the web from your classroom, you have a wealth of resources to satisfy
varied interests and abilities after the students get on their feet
with Python.  And remember, almost by definition, all Python code is
open source!  Some teachers are uncomfortable with this style of
"teaching", but I have seen it work quite well, especially in classes
with a wide range of student abilities.  What's really needed is a
thorough class outline with materials, exercises, and tests to get new
Python teachers off to a running start and a reassuring comfort level.

Any how, here's some links that may help in your decision.  And ask
your current crop of students what they would have liked from the
class.  I realize all too well how much work for you putting together
a class will likely be if you choose to go with Python, but besides
the language you would have one of the friendliest, most
willing-to-help communities around!

Assume you've tracked down all the leads from here
http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

This high school uses Zope and How To Think Like a Computer Scientist:
Learning With Python (an iso CD image available) I've watched the site
for several years and recommend it  -- this may be someone to contact
http://www.isd197.org/sibley/cs/icp/

O'Reilly Network - Technologies used in schools and methods of
learning or teaching a technology.
http://www.onlamp.com/topics/python/education

Python in education
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/handbook/

Who teaches Python?  especially good for enthusiastic help
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pyBiblio/schools.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pyBiblio/problems/  -- don't be put off by
the dead links

Especially if you have Linux available in the classroom, most distros
(and Red Hat in particular) include quite a few built-in examples of
"real" Python code at work - not to mention the availability of Py-gui
frontends that students can play with.  It takes real programming to
put together even a catalog of mp3's that can be accessed with a gui.

Zope may be useful as an "advanced project" of the real world sort,
and something the students can show off
http://www.zope.org/

BitTorrent  an unlikely project resource that students may already be
familiar with (written in Python!)
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Algorithm Education in Python  another project resource?
http://www.ece.uci.edu/~chou/py02/python.htmlVirtual Reality Utilities
(2.5)
http://www.recveb.ucsb.edu/vrut/tree/toc13910.htm

GFESuite Python Tutorial and Programming Guidelines  tutorial and
project material
http://www-md.fsl.noaa.gov/eft/rpp/doc/onlinehelp_RPP21/Python.html

Some other books to look at:
Core Python Programming