Python vs PHP for our rewrite?

Jay O'Connor joconnor at nets.com
Fri May 16 15:40:02 EDT 2003

I'm working on an web application tghath the boss wants to get off the
current language implementation (Smalltalk) and go with..something else.

He favors PHP but I'm lobbying hard for Python.

PHP is attractive from a business side but I looking at some technical
issues.  One thing the boss told me that he was told was

"Definately go with PHP though if you want to have it available to the most
number of people possible, a lot of hosting companies don't have python,
or don't allow it's use because it takes it longer to execute and tends to
be more CPU instensive than PHP does (in fact the hosting company I do
 work for disallows it except in certain specific cases for that very reason)"

Now, my question is, is that a correct assessment or is it not true or
can it be mitigated around?

The goal is to sell it as a third party for people to host on the own
providers, which is why the business side of Python has him concerned

Jay O'Connor
http://www.r4h-music.com

"God Himself plays the bass strings first,
when He tunes the soul"