Python vs PHP for our rewrite?

Nils Kassube nika at kassube.de
Fri May 16 15:39:51 EDT 2003

"Jay O'Connor" <joconnor at nets.com> writes:

> I'm working on an web application tghath the boss wants to get off
> the current language implementation (Smalltalk) and go
> with..something else.

Rewriting something that works in a different language is almost
always a bad idea. It's a good idea to talk the folks in
comp.lang.smalltalk about the reasons your boss wants to get rid of
it. Smalltalk is alive, well, and growing. There are exciting
developments on their site of the fence, e.g. the continuations-based
Seaside framework for web applications, with no counterpart in Python.

> "Definately go with PHP though if you want to have it available to
> the most number of people possible, a lot of hosting companies don't

Yes. That's probably true. However, does it really matter? You
can rent a server with root access where you can install everything
you want for less than $50/month.

If this is a commercial endeavor...

> The goal is to sell it as a third party for people to host on the
> own providers, which is why the business side of Python has him
> concerned

... it depends on your target market: do you want to sell to
people who won't pay $50/month for their web space?