error in

Christopher Blunck blunck at gst.com
Fri May 9 00:05:50 EDT 2003

dharms98 at yahoo.com (Dan Harms) wrote in message news:<6703f28d.0304281917.602c680 at posting.google.com>...
> blunck at gst.com (Christopher Blunck) wrote in message news:<1147e466.0304271906.113457ad at posting.google.com>...
> > Mod_Python executes your modules using restricted execution mode.
>
> I don't think it does. According to this, this is more likely a Python 2.2.1 bug:
>
> http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2002-October/002607.html

The folks at mod_python gave me a pointer in the right direction.  To
get PyXML
working under mod_python + Apache 2.0.40 + python 2.2.x, you must do
this prior to  defining your handler method:

mod = __import__('encodings.utf_8', globals(), locals(), '*')
mod = __import__('encodings.utf_16_be', globals(), locals(), '*')

Of course, this is somewhat hackish because one isn't suppose to know
the encodings of an XML message prior to manipulating / parsing it.
But, it solves the imeediate problem, and most XML docs are UTF8 or
UTF16 formatted.

Hope this helps anyone.  Tried this under RH9 and it worked.