A little disappointed so far

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun May 18 22:45:24 EDT 2003

In article <TgWxa.335$573.277 at news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Graham Nicholls  <graham at rockcons.co.uk> wrote:

>Are there good reasons for this? I'm not a computer scientist, and I am
>beginning to suspect that Python is a CS language.  Is that unfair?  (That
>implies that being a CS language is a bad thing, which I'm not at all sure
>of :-)

Enh.  There are lots of things about Python that CS people like
(particularly those from the Lisp and Smalltalk communities), but I sure
wouldn't call Python a CS language.  Python emphasises practicality as a
virtue -- it's very easy to call out to C libraries, for example.

>> One of the great things about the Python docs is that once you know
>> about os and os.path, you know where to look for information.
>
>Tell me more, please - I'm confused by that statement.  Do you mean that I
>should have run dir (IIRC) on the os module?

No, you should familiarize yourself with the HTML docs.  See
http://www.python.org/doc/current/
and then download a local copy for yourself.

>BTW, my i=i+1 bug - how do you avoid these, or are they common?

Not common, IME.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93