It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Paul Rubin http
Thu May 1 18:24:20 EDT 2003

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > What the heck is going on with this?  Please stop breaking things.
>
> Nothing breaks. Don't spread FUD.

What do you mean nothing breaks?  I had a script which ran for over
a year under Python 1.5.2 and broke on upgrade to Python 2.2.x because
of a change in the bsddb format.

What are you telling me happened, if nothing broke?

> > So, please don't drop support for deprecated versions of bsddb, AND
> > don't require anyone to "tickle appropriate lines in Modules/Setup" to
> > make all the versions useable (at least by changing an import
> > statement in a script).
>
> That wouldn't help at all. Most likely, building bsddb185
> will pick up some Sleepycat installation, giving you just the same
> binary database format that you get when building PyBSDDB.

Then what is the purpose of the advice to tickle the Modules/Setup lines?