It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 1 18:36:28 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> What do you mean nothing breaks?  I had a script which ran for over
> a year under Python 1.5.2 and broke on upgrade to Python 2.2.x because
> of a change in the bsddb format.
>
> What are you telling me happened, if nothing broke?

I don't know what you did, but I wasn't talking about this scenario
(your change from Python 1.5.2 to 2.2.x), but about the change from the
old BSDDB wrapper to PyBSDDB.

When installing a new version of Python (or even reinstalling the
version that is installed), there is always the possibility that
setup.py choses a different BSDDB installation than it did the last
time, just because the set of available BSDDB installations has
changed. That, in turn, can cause the bsddb module not to be able
to access data files anymore. For that kind of breakage, it is
irrelevant what wrapper module used.

>>That wouldn't help at all. Most likely, building bsddb185
>>will pick up some Sleepycat installation, giving you just the same
>>binary database format that you get when building PyBSDDB.
>
> Then what is the purpose of the advice to tickle the Modules/Setup lines?

People manually editing these lines can point to the location
of the version of BSDDB they want to build with.

Regards,
Martin