So, how long does it take to learn

Andrei see at my.signature.com
Tue May 20 13:50:28 EDT 2003

Depending on what you call useful, I'd say (not being a programmer by
trade, nor a Python expert) starting from a day. I read some tutorials,
was completely amazed by:

  a, b = b, a

tinkered around a bit and then wrote a small tool to change ID3 tags of
MP3 based on their filenames. Not rocket science, probably not the best
code, but working and useful to me.

My second real program did some maths and graphis using PIL, fully OO.
Third one accessed a website (accepting cookie), downloaded and parsed
an index, extracted thousands of interesting items, downloaded those,
extracted data from them and stored that data in indexed HTML files on
the HD. That was the first time I used internet (in a program),
cookies and regexes, so it took some time to get things working, but
it did work.

print "znvy: cebwrpg5 at bcrenznvy.pbz
Fcnzserr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp zrffntrf. V ernq gur yvfg, ab arrq gb PP.".decode("rot13")