It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 5 17:25:27 EDT 2003

Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> writes:

> To deal with this would require the modules to export the format version
> values they support.  From header files I have copies of:
>  v1.85 =>   hash v2
>  v1.86 =>   hash v3
>  v3.3.11 => hash v7 (but supports back to v4)
>  v4.0.14 => hash v7   "     "      "   "  "

Notice that Sleepycat v2.x also uses hash v2.

> In retrospect, I think a slightly less painful approach would have been to
> import PyBSDDB as bsddb3, and just deprecate the original bsddb (letting
> it wither except on those systems that absolutely insist).  Too late now I
> think.

It is not just the on-disk format that bothers us. It also also that
the API is too limited. For example, there is no API to determine the
file version at run-time, in the DB 1.85 compatibility API. The
current Sleepycat API is so much more powerful, and we want to offer
users a convenient access to the added power.

Regards,
Martin