Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue May 6 17:57:02 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Very brief experimentation, *and* a look at the demo apps (to note
> Riccardo's point), were all it took to make me feel this way, and
> I would actually recommend that *regardless* of the advice of the
> experts (their accuracy and thoroughness notwithstanding), a new
> user should still try out both wxPython and PyQT before settling on
> either.

Trying out is a good idea -- I tried out literally everything, up to and
including Amulet -- when I was looking for a toolkit before settling on
PyQt. However, I must say that it can be quite hard to get the toolkits
themselves up and running. I still haven't managed to get a working
wxPython installation on my SuSE systems; even though PyGTK on OS X was a
breeze (thanks to Fink). PyQt can be a bit of a nut to crack before it
runs, unless you buy BlackAdder. And even Tkinter isn't always as easy to
get running.

Christus is opgestaan!