Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Andrew Henshaw andrew.henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue May 6 16:41:21 EDT 2003

David Brown wrote:

> "Tony C" <cappy2112 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:8d3e714e.0305051833.65da42bc at posting.google.com...
>> I want to do some GUI work, mostly for Win32 programs.
>> Since I don't know either one,  I have to start from scratch with both.
>>
>> Which is faster to learn ?
>> Which GUI is better to use, in the long run ?
>>

> If it is for Windows programming, then your main consideration might be
> the licence - PyQT requires QT, which is free on Linux for use in open
> source
> programs, but is not (as far as I know) free on Windows.  QT is a great
> library for cross-platform programming, and if you are making commercial
> programs then it is probably worth the money, but that is a decision
> you'll
> have to make.  wxPython is free to use in both open source and closed
> source programs.

Another consideration might have to do with native look and feel.  I hope
I'm not misrepresenting Qt when I say that, I believe, it achieves its MS
Windows look-and-feel by emulation; whereas, wxWindows uses the underlying
widgets.  It is my understanding that this is generally only noticeable
when Microsoft updates the visuals.  For example, if someone had
distributed a Qt app for Win2000 before XP was released, then that app
wouldn't automatically get the facelift that a wxWindows app would have
gotten.

We have been very happy with wxPython for our development.

--Andy