It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 5 17:20:37 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> One thing I just realized is that a couple intermediate library versions are
> now orphans of sorts.  The new bsddb code will link against DB 3 or 4 (they
> export the necessary API), and with my patch the bsddb185 code will link
> against DB 1.85.  That leaves DB 1.86 and 2.x, neither of which will be
> linked into either module.

I think this is fine for 1.86; Sleepycat recommends not to use that
version for any purpose (it also appears to have a different on-disk
format).

For DB 2, as I reported, we find the same on-disk format as DB 1.85
(regardless of what the Sleepycat home page says). So linking bsddb185
with db2 should work fine and have the desired effect.

Regards,
Martin