PEP idea - Daemon

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at storm.ca._nospam
Sat May 24 07:59:49 EDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 03:54:13 -0500, Ryan Morillo <srart at operamail.com> wrote:
> Am I the only one that thinks we should add daemonization to the os module?
> After playing for a few days trying to figure it out, I was lucky enough to
> find Jurgen's (sorry, don't know unicode for umlatts on the "u") code for
> how to do it in *nix (cookbook recipie 6.7), I think I've stumbled across
> it in windows once (example in win32 stuff), but adding it to the stdlib
> seems like a good idea to me.

    I wouldn't mind, if it were flexible enough. For example, daemon's
forking by default are a pain if you want to put the daemon under
supervision via daemontools. Every daemon should have a 'nofork' option,
like -f or something. That, and options for uid/gid to run under, etc.

    My 2cents.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix