Python version status (was Re: A little disappointed so far)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue May 20 07:52:53 EDT 2003

In article <rcvop-4e3.ln1 at beastie.ix.netcom.com>,
Dennis Lee Bieber  <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>        Unfortunately, you still are looking at a major moving
>target. A book for 2.0 will have lots of gaps regarding 2.2, and 2.3
>(in late alpha release, I believe) adds more heavy changes.

Python 2.3 is in beta 1.  And in Python development, "beta" means
"beta"; with the exception of new features, Python 2.3 has fewer bugs
and is more stable than Python 2.2.2.  (Python 2.2.3 should be released
within a week or two; that'll be a tossup.)

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93