Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Russ Salsbury rcs at russellsalsbury.com
Tue May 6 18:34:33 EDT 2003

mertz at gnosis.cx (David Mertz) wrote in message news:<mailman.1052116867.22805.python-list at python.org>...
[...]

Where do I send my check?

I much prefer short to-the-point books over "bibles" and similar
tomes.

Cookbooks with useful chunks of code are better than those that start
with "Hello World" in chapter 1 and end with a full blown e-commerce
system in chapter 23.

Make it Python specific, except where there might be good examples
from another language. _Elements of Programming Style_ started with
Fortran and then went to Pascal and C.  You could have a franchise.
:-)  Besides I've done metaprogramming in C.  It's too ghastly to
contemplate.

Showing how to do some of the examples from AOP of similar systems
might be interesting.

Showing how to use metaclasses to hold the type information for
interacting with statically typed systems like databases would be
interesting, as would be the creation of metaclasses by the
composition of other metaclasses.  Compilers and parsers are dear to
my heart, but using metaprogramming to solve some of the problems of
distributed heterogeneous systems might be more interesting (without
all baggage of CORBA).

-- Russ