The most annoying typo error...

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed May 7 17:42:33 EDT 2003

"Russell E. Owen" wrote:

> It hits me often enough that I wish it were a syntax error or that one
> could enable a warning for it. But I usually track it down fairly
> quickly.
>
> To those who wonder how such a thing could happen, I personally find it
> creeping in occasionally when editing existing code, e.g. via sloppy
> modification of an argument list.

I can only say, other than mentioning again that I've never in all my
years programming actually seen this one happen, that with proper unit
testing this kind of thing is caught instantly.

In fact, with good tests, these sorts of errors are caught so quickly
that you cease thinking about them as annoyances, and they instead
become sort of like a little fly that buzzes past briefly: you sort of
swat at it half-heartedly, but it doesn't really manage to distract you.

-Peter