pydoc and latin-1/iso-8859-1/scandinavian letters

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Wed May 21 09:44:33 EDT 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> writes:

> I'd recommend you switch to pyPgSQL. It supports Unicode and I've
> heard of one of our users successfully using it in combination with
> a Unicode-enabled wxPython.

Hmmm... It is possible to make that switch if this is the only
solution to that problem but then I'd have to create and maintain
packages for that. We have developers in Linux and Windows XP doing
some collaborative work for a project here.

pgdb was chosen because it is standard with PostgreSQL and available
in both Linux distributions we have: Conectiva and Mandrake. It won't
be hard to do that, but I would really like to know if there's a pgdb
solution at all...

> Maybe psycopg supports Unicode as well nowadays, I haven't checked.
>
> Anyway, you'll want to check the encodings your PostgreSQL client and
> server uses (SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO ..., etc.). The PostgreSQL handbooks
> explains that stuff pretty well IMO.

I've already done that, as I said in my prior message. It didn't
work. I'm still trying it, since it seems that it solved GNU
Enterprise's problems...

I'm going to check the docs again and see if I missed something...

Thanks,
--
Godoy.      <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>