pydoc and latin-1/iso-8859-1/scandinavian letters

Martin v. Löwis martin.vonloewis at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu May 22 09:17:27 EDT 2003

> This thought also occurred to me earlier today and - blimey! -  it
> really was the console settings of my Linux. I just hadn't paid any
> attention to it before. :|
>
> Nonetheless, thanks for the answers.

However, this just hides the real problem. Requiring the console to
use the encoding of the doc strings is clearly insufficient. It would
be much better if the docstrings where Unicode objects, and pydoc
would transparently encode the doc strings in the terminal's encoding.

Fortunately, Python already supports Unicode doc strings, so all that
is needed is to change pydoc to use the terminal's encoding.

Regards,
Martin