OT: Mandrake 9.1

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri May 16 09:56:17 EDT 2003

Aahz wrote:

> IIRC, someone (Alex?) was complaining about not getting Mandrake 9.1
> shipped on time.  I finally received my copy today, and I had a much

Yep, it was me.  I installed it on a brand-new machine and is seems to
be doing just fine (except that I can't get it to do sound -- within KDE,
haven't tried other ways -- in any form).  Then my main machine running
9.0 suddenly decided to go crazy on me after many months of solid and
reliable service -- in the end, in desperation, I tried upgrading to 9.1
and at long last got it working again.  Sound seems to have disappeared
without a trace (!) but apart from that I did manage to fix just about
everything else I've tried so far.  Finally, my new Fujitsu Piranha from
EmperorLinux just came with Mandrake 9.1 preinstalled (at my request --
they normally install their own distro) and there everything I tried (sound
included) appears to work.  Overall, it seems a satisfactory upgrade (and
maybe one day I'll have enough time to invest to find out where the sound
went on my two desktops...!).

> Yeah, yeah, next time I'll stick with Debian.

Well, yes, it IS a temptation one gets some of the time;-).

Alex