select on windows: must import socket first?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Thu May 29 17:38:47 EDT 2003

When using select() on windows, without import socket first, I get this:

Python 2.3b1 (#40, Apr 25 2003, 19:06:24) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] onwin32
 >>> import select
 >>> select.select([],[],[])
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
select.error: (10093, 'Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or
WSAStartup failed')

Is this intentionally? I can't seem to find anything in the docs that says
that I have to import socket first. (because that gets rid of this error).

--Irmen

PS. Yeah I know that select on windows doesn't like empty lists...