Has anyone created a simple POP3 and SMTP server using TWISTED?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sat Mar 15 01:32:50 EST 2003

Quoth William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>:
| You can send email using Telnet, and that may be good for learning SMTP
| handshaking.  But, to make it bullet-proof (which email server should
| be), is not trivial.  What SMTP/POP3 program are you running on your
| machine?  I'll bet it's not written in Python.

On my machine here at home I don't support SMTP or POP3 services
(though of course I do have the client, and it is in fact written
in Python.)  Where I do support SMTP and POP3 services, they are
as you surmise written in C.  They have also taken a lot of time
and effort to make bullet-proof.  But the worst trouble has come
from a class of errors collectively known as "buffer overruns".
They weren't written in Python, but maybe they should have been.

It's funny to read here (in comp.lang.python) that Python isn't
up to implementing a bullet-proof email service, the same day as
we're all so positive it's fine for life-critical applications
like airplane controls.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com