Has anyone created a simple POP3 and SMTP server using TWISTED?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 14 20:33:02 EST 2003

Donn Cave <donn at drizzle.com> wrote:
> Ask on comp.lang.python, has anyone implemented SMTP or POP servers in
> Python?  Who's obtuse here?

You are, for implying that SMTP/POP3 daemon can be written on toilet
paper while in bathroom.

> > So, download Fetchmail/Sendmail/Gnu-pop3d, and compile.  Lots of
> > details have been worked out in these programs over the years by
> > many people.
>
> Oh, right.  Sendmail wouldn't work for sure, and it's a terrible
> choice for a 3 person site anyway.  Don't know about the other two,
> but I'd guess very strong odds of some platform incompatibility that
> would be the end for someone who only knows Python.  A simplistic SMTP
> and POP3 implementation isn't a huge undertaking, might be a fun
> project.

You can send email using Telnet, and that may be good for learning SMTP
handshaking.  But, to make it bullet-proof (which email server should
be), is not trivial.  What SMTP/POP3 program are you running on your
machine?  I'll bet it's not written in Python.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>