Metaphors and politics

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 17:06:38 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:29, lucio wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> >You mean like the 'anti-war' leaders who praise the thugs ruling North
> >Korea?
> >Perhaps you should visit Iraq and talk to the people like certain
> >ex-anti-war folks did
> >
> >He said that his talks with Iraqis convinced him that Saddam is "a
> >monster the likes of which the world had not seen since Stalin and
> >Hitler. He and his sons are sick sadists. Their tales of slow torture
> >and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for
> >plastic products, feet first so [the torture masters] could hear their
> >screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head."
> >

> [snip]
>
> i promissed myself i would not comment on this, but i am weak. :)

Let me join you in your weakness ;)

> Disclaimer: i do belive saddam is no happy grandpa.
>
> We had a discussion the other day with my friends, so now i need to ask
> the following question:
>
> Who really belives that main reason of this war is the liberation of iraq?

I don't think anyone does (other than perhaps the people who will be
inadvertently "liberated" and those who blindly believe US propaganda).
No doubt exists in my mind that this war has little, if anything to do
with liberation of the Iraqi people.  OTOH, it could be a nice
side-effect.  Does that justify the war?  I don't know.  It seems odd to
do something for one reason while justifying it with another.  It's
definitely unethical, but doesn't mean that the end result won't be
better than the current situation.

I guess that leaves me on the fence.  I don't like Bush (liar), I don't
like Hussein (killer).

Too-bad-it-couldn't-be-a-mutual-annihilation'ly yrs,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)