Soliciing suggestions for application design

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Mon Mar 24 05:13:12 EST 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 05:35:30PM +0000, Byron Morgan wrote:
> Oren, thanks for your input.
>
> The processing of captured data can be done without critical time
> constraints, but it is important to get the timestamps right, as this is the
> only way to reliably correlate responses to polls.

But what is the cost of an miscorrelation? If the answer is $50 I suggest
you should get a true real-time operating system like QNX or Linux with
real-time extensions. You might see zero failures on a non real-time system
in many hours of testing system but you can never know for sure.

If the remote device is also under your control I suggest modifying the
protocol to add some kind of ID in the poll that is echoed in the response.

    Oren