Python 2.2.2 compile on Solaris 9

S Timmins timmins at ltpmail.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 4 18:13:41 EST 2003

HI:
  Thanks for all the help last week - my 500 lines of Numarray/Python
run nicely on Linux but under Solaris 9 I need to be able to add
packages:

 1) we have a system install of Python 2.2.2 compiled with gcc 2.8.1

 2) when I try to make python myself (I am not root) with the same
compiler it complains about the odd set of braces being ambiguous but
eventually dies:

gcc -shared build/temp.solaris-2.9-sun4u-2.2/readline.o
-L/usr/lib/termcap
-L/usr/local/lib -lreadline -lncurses -o
build/lib.solaris-2.9-sun4u-2.2/readline.so
Text relocation remains                         referenced
    against symbol                  offset      in file
<unknown>                           0x28
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(signals.o)
<unknown>                           0x2c
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(signals.o)
<unknown>                           0x30
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(signals.o)
<unknown>                           0x34
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(signals.o)
<unknown>                           0x38
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(signals.o)
<unknown>                           0x3c
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(signals.o)

This goes on for 100s of lines!!

  3) The sunfreeware.com site suggests that the latest gcc 3.2.2 is
necessary for Python 2.2.2 :
http://sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc9.html#python

 Question: Can I just tar over the system install to my own directory
or must configure be passed the --exec_prefix, make, make -install be
done using gcc-3.2.2?

   Thanks
         Sidey Timmmins