Really, Amazingly Silly Question

John Doty jpd at w-d.org
Sat Mar 8 06:03:17 EST 2003

In article <%Qhaa.505$LR7.340479160 at newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Nilesta"
<nilesta at nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Third, and entirely off the point:  My first programming language was a
> bastardized version of Forth, MUF (That's sort of an upside-down and
> backwards version of any other programming language, in case you don't
> know it), so my natural reaction to learning any other language is to
> come at it with my dukes up, ready to beat it into unwilling submission.
>  I was blindsided by Python.  I'm not real sure how to work with a
> language that doesn't fight me tooth and nail.

It shouldn't ever be necessary to beat the language into submission. It's
much better to go with its way of doing things. Forth and Python are both
very effective if you accomodate your approach to their (very different)
models of computation. Learning to use each on its own terms will make
you better with the other.