pygtk2 vs. pyqt. pros and cons

ivo at NOSPAMamaze.nl ivo at NOSPAMamaze.nl
Sat Mar 1 08:21:13 EST 2003

gabor <gabor at z10n.net> wrote:
: hi,
:
: i have to decide between pyqt and pygtk ( i simply find tkinter ugly :).
: sorry about that, it's a personal choice ).
:
: so if you are familiar with both of them,
: please tell me about your experiences, and
: tell me which one do you recommend.
:

I've been doing some UI selection myself lately. Here are some pro's / cons:

Tkinter:
  Pro's:
   - Default with python
   - works on Windows and Unix
   - Works with Twisted (www.twistedmatrix.com)
  Con's:
   - Ugly widgets
   - Limited functionality (i.e. single column listbox) - only usable
     with extensions
   - IMHO: Api is not very nice

GTK:
  Pro's:
   - Glade (!)
   - Themability
   - Quite functional widgets (though still limited in 1.2)
   - Works with Twisted (www.twistedmatrix.com)
  Con's:
   - Doesn't really work on windows

wxPython:
  Pro's:
   - cross platform with native look and feel
   - very large and functional widget set
  Con's:
   - Doesn't work well with Twisted at this moment (requires ugly hack)
   - Not always very stable (exprienced this myself, and heard others
     complain about this)

   Boa is not considered a Pro with wxWindows - it's unstable (got it
   to crash in 30 minutes, but that might be a wxWindows issue),
   doesn't run out of the box (requires some string imports), which gives
   me the feeling this is a very immature project. The Interface designer
   isn't really impressive either.

QT:
  Pro's:
   - does what you expect from a GUI toolkit, haven't looked into it too
     much though
   - portable accross unix/windows
  Con's:
   - QT is only free under X11, as far as I know

Except for Glade, there aren't any good interface builders, and portability
to windows is a strict requirement for my project, so I'm currently looking
into wxPython. Too bad the wxPython / wxWindows documents aren't downloadable
(as far as I could see)

Cheers

	Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk                              -=-
Brouwersgracht 132                      Amaze Internet Services V.O.F.