P.E.P. 3.0.8 ???

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Mar 14 07:01:38 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:00:12AM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Roman Suzi]
> > So, what is the progress of the subject?
> Limbo.

What's that you say, Tim ? A Limbo-dancing contest to be held at PyCon 2003,
the winner deciding the fate of PEP308 ? Yeah, I can see that... makes about
as much sense as the rest of this <0.8 wink>.

> > Has Guido already decided this way or that?
> Nobody knows yet:  he hasn't broken silence.

I tried to get him to speak his mind before the PSF-board IRC meeting last
tuesday, but alas, he evaded[*] the question quite skillfully, leaving
nothing sure except that which we already knew (that being, he is neither
against nor in favour of.) I would have pressed on, but his comments about
loaded dice and hostile community reactions reminded me that I still had to
vote, and I had 20 minutes 'till polls closed and the meeting started. (And
I'm talking about the Dutch provincial election last tuesday, not about some
hidden vote on PEP 308.)

However, I am reminded of the following passage of the Book of PEPs, chapter
308, section one, paragraph one, in which He Spake,

"If the community can't decide, the BDFL will reject the PEP."

Can anyone honestly say the community has decided on anything but the
controversy of the other camp's procedures and analyses ? But then, I'm
biased, being a luddite and a readist, so please don't take my word for the
interpretation or its conclusions. I mean, the conclusions I draw from it.

[*] Or he *did* speak his mind, who knows.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>