py2exe for Python2.2 looking for Python21.dll

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Mar 23 22:29:35 EST 2003

sameer wrote:

> I am trying to compile my application to an exe using py2exe and
> Python22.  During the compilation, I get a missing dll error telling
> me that Python21.dll could not be located.  I have checked the windows
> registry and there are no references to Python21.dll anywhere.  I have
> also uninstalled python22 and reinstalled it, and then reinstalled
> py2exe for Python22, and I still get the same error.  Does anyone have
> any suggestions?

As I recall, we encountered something similar, using a network
installation of Python.  Our approach has been to install under
C: on one machine but then copy the directory to a network
folder shared by everyone, and remove the registry entries from
that machine.  At one point, we had trouble using py2exe on
that machine after upgrading to a new version, and eventually
tracked it down to python DLLs that had been installed in
C:\windows\system.  Maybe removing those will help.

-Peter