Python USB interface.

Peter Clark pc451 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 09:33:22 EST 2003

Grzegorz Dostatni <grzegorz at ee.ualberta.ca> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.0303271909280.25600-100000 at e5-05.ee.ualberta.ca>...
> Hi.
>
> I will be  playing with a digital camera: Mustek Gsm at rt Mini 3.
> Unfortunately it comes with drivers for windows only... and I'd
> prefer to use it under linux.
>
> Is there an interface in python to the USB? Python interactive mode could
> be perfect way to figure out how to interface to this gadget.

    Under Linux, you can basically interface with USB like any other
serial port; i.e., everything is a file, just open it up and watch it.
    However, in your case, you probably would be better off with using
gphoto; http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/proj/libgphoto2/support.php says
that the level of support for your camera is "testing." Who knows what
that means, but it's probably a lot further along in functionality
than what you would get with a quick Python script. For instance, the
current KDE release supports gphoto2 right out of the box (Control
Panel -> Peripherals -> Digital Camera) and I'm sure there's something
for GNOME, too.
    :Peter