Novice needs help with py2exe

Jørgen Cederberg jorgencederberg at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 02:25:13 EST 2003

Matthew wrote:
> Been there, done that, and didn't understand it. Please remember, I am a
> total novice. On Hellers page for example he says run
> python setup.py py2exe.py --help and I received the error stated below
> in my original post. There *is no* setup.py in the py2exe diectory. A
> few simple guidelines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, matthew.

Go to http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/ once again. Scroll
down to the "Using py2exe" section. This basically says that you must
create a setup.py file to put in the directory of your _own_ module.

First off, create a setup.py file similar to the one mentioned in the
section. Assuming your paths are setup correctly you should be able to
something like:

d:\matthew\apps\python setup.py py2xe (where d:\matthew\apps is the path
to your application)

The resulting exe file is placed in the directory
d:\matthew\apps\dist\applicationname

You should distribute the complete directory.

Hope this helps.

Jørgen Cederberg