socket programming project

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 26 17:16:21 EDT 2003

drs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a programming design question.  I would like to do this in Python,
> but I am not even sure about what tools are proper or where to start
> reading.
>
> I am trying to make a small network system where several client computers
> connect to a server.  each client can send messages to the server which must
> alert all of the clients of the information in the messages.  Further, the
> server must be able to alert all connected clients about other occasional
> information. The total number of messages is low, however. for now, security
> is not an issue if that matters.

If you don't care about the communication internals, (and it seems very
likely that you don't), try Pyro : http://pyro.sourceforge.net

Pyro makes it VERY easy to build distributed object systems in Python.
(a basic client and server take no more than 5 to 10 lines of code,
of which only two or three are Pyro-specific).

If you know DCOM, you know the basics of distributed object systems,
and you should feel at home very soon when using Pyro.
Not forgetting that it is tremendously easier to use than DCOM.. ;-)

--Irmen de Jong