[wanted] Python news threader/archiver

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 4 12:39:16 EDT 2003

Greg Wilson wrote:

> I am looking for Pythonware that will download news items from an NNTP feed
> for archival storage, and construct a threaded index page as it does so.
> Barry Warsaw has pointed out that I can do this using Mailman, but that
> seems like a rather large hammer.  If anyone has something that will do
> this, please let me know.

Have you actually looked at the relevant parts of Mailman which relate
to this, and found them unacceptably complex or something?  I would guess
that using pieces from a well-supported and stable application like Mailman
would be much more satisfying, even if you had to nip and cut a bit yourself
to integrate those pieces into your own app, than if you found a little
scrap of code somebody else had that purported to do the same thing.

Just a thought.  Feel free to ignore.  (I wouldn't mention it, but it
seems unlikely to me that anyone else has done this except as part of
another equally large hammer...)

-Peter