HL7 servers in Python?

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Mon Jun 16 13:05:46 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, "Richard Sharp" <rbsharp at gmx.de> wrote:

> I have one Pathology Unit that does work for two hospitals and
> communicates with two hospital systems. With Twisted I basically subclass
> protocol.Factory and implement the necessary submethods.

You probably also needed to subclass protocol.Protocol to actually
parse HL7, right?

> It is a little daunting at first and there was at the time (about 2 years
> ago) when no usable documentation worth speaking of was available. I am
> also stuck at the moment with Twisted 0.18.0, because it runs with Python
> 1.5.2, and I had trouble getting Python >= 2.0 running on the all the
> Unixes I had to get it running on. In the meantime, I think I've got that
> under control.

Ugh. Current Twisted (1.0.5) needs Python 2.2. Python is pretty portable,
I've managed to build it (back when I needed to) on pretty wierd unices.
Sometimes you want to install gcc because the compiler that comes with
the system is damaged :(

If you are having serious problems building Python, you're better off
asking here (giving all the details about your platform) than using
Twisted 0.18 (which was not a horribly good version, IIRC -- I kinda
liked 0.15.5 I think).

> If you're interested in looking at the programms I will have to ask the
> company I developed the software for, but the complete program is only ca.
> 800 Lines and covers 4 Low Level Protocols.

If you get permission to put them up, that would be even better :)
As a Twisted developer, I keep hoping that people will implement Protocols
for Twisted as the standard way of having Python support a network protocol
(rather than, say, asyncore) but except for ldaptor, I don't think there
have been many 3rd party protocols.

--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.