HL7 servers in Python?

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Thu Jun 12 17:10:26 EDT 2003

Does anyone know of a Python HL7 socket server/daemon - that is, a
daemon which accepts socket connections on a TCP port from an HL7
source, receives an HL7 message via the connection, hands off the
message for processing, and then sends back an ACK or NACK H7 message -
usually synchronously, via a blocking connection (thus the server needs
to be multi-threaded)?

HL7 stands for Health Level 7 (where 7 represents the 7th layer of the
OSI network stack) and is a widely-used standard for communication of
medical information. I'm not looking for HL7 message assembly or parsing
libraries, just the socket server bit. Perhaps the SocketServer module
in the Python library makes this so trivial that no-one has felt the
need to write a specific HL7 server in Python? Anyway, I've looked on
Google but can't spot anything obvious.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0