Check your Wikis

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed Jun 25 09:37:17 EDT 2003

Duncan Grisby <duncan-news at grisby.org> wrote in message news:<6a351$3ef6f993$516049d2$22156 at nf1.news-service.com>...
> I just noticed an "interesting" addition to the omniORB Wiki. There's
> a small page about Python on the Wiki, and someone added a link to
> www.python info.com (without the space). If you go to that site, you
> find a collection of old information about Python, that I've seen
> somewhere before. Interspersed throughout the text are various links
> to porn sites.

[...]

> I assume this is an attempt to get the porn sites indexed, which is
> why I've broken the URL above.

Is this the same thing, then...?

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/Du Pont

(Space added for anti-indexing effect.)

I know that it's "against the Wiki way" or <insert other devotion
statement to arbitrary principles here>, but is it really that
intrusive to insist that people register to edit Wikis containing
useful and important information? Although it has been quite dormant,
the Webware Wiki managed to secure contributions from motivated people
whilst insisting on registration, for example. Besides, the supposed
"Wiki way" really does contradict some of the most basic security
precautions for the running of Internet sites - denial of service can
become a serious concern.

Paul