Check your Wikis

Tom Plunket tomas at fancy.org
Wed Jun 25 18:45:17 EDT 2003

Paul Boddie wrote:

> I know that it's "against the Wiki way" or <insert other devotion
> statement to arbitrary principles here>, but is it really that
> intrusive to insist that people register to edit Wikis containing
> useful and important information? Although it has been quite
> dormant, the Webware Wiki managed to secure contributions from
> motivated people whilst insisting on registration, for example.

I recently registered and added stuff to the wxPython Wiki,
because the existing information was incorrect on my platform.  I
almost didn't bother because of the fact that I had to register,
but by that point I had everything together that I needed to post
so it seemed silly not to register.

However, you can be sure that I won't be adding any more
information to it.  I just don't think that registration is
necessary to have a good repository of information.  Not to
mention that TheRules on that site seem pretty...  un-wiki...

so it goes- how many more like me are there out there?  How many
more than that won't post anything because they have to register?
Certainly the Wiki is not stronger for it.

-tom!