Strange problem with notebook computer

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Sun Jun 8 20:17:33 EDT 2003

is using python the only time you run software that places a heavy
load on the computer?  it's unlikely to be something special about
python itself, but if your computer has a problem that only shows up
under load then it may be that python use is triggering it simply
because that's what you use when you load the computer.

i would suggest playing some cpu-intensive game on it for some time,
or doing something else that loads the computer.  i expect you'll see
the same problem.

(i don't want to be rude, but something you learn when you've been
using computers for a while is that the mind makes connections before
there is enough real evidence - you end up blaming something simply
because it's the first thing that comes to mind, and you tend to look
for things that support that conclusion and ignore things that don't.
it's disturbing how illogical you can be.  or maybe it's just me
that's mad... ;o)

another possibility (i have an old laptop that has a dektop cpu in it
because it was faster - this is from many years ago, before there was
a big difference between desktop and laptop chips - that has this
problem), for example, is that when you're using python you have the
computer on your knee, blocking the fan, while otherwise you tend to
leave it on a tabletop (in my case, the laptop had legs that kept the
fan clear of the table).  look for "silly" things like this...

good luck,
andrew

--
http://www.acooke.org