ICA - Independent Component Analysis

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 27 23:22:27 EDT 2003

    Tim> 3) Obtain and install the fastICA library for R (see the
    Tim> extensive R documentation - R has the slickest fetch and
    Tim> installation procedures for extensions in the business)

Wow, you are right.  I had already installed R and rpy before your
reply.  After reading your post, I read the install guide at
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.pdf and all I had to do
to install fastICA from within a root R session was:

  > options(CRAN = "http://cran.us.r-project.org/")
  > install.packages("fastICA")

Then I quit R, fired up python, and could import fastICA w/o
rebuilding rpy.  Impressive.  I suppose I just need to configure my
CRAN prefs in a config file so I can install extensions with just one
command, instead of the laborious two.

Thanks for your advice!
John Hunter