Twisted Panglossia

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jun 5 22:22:35 EDT 2003

David Mertz wrote:

> But I've noticed something both on the Twisted list, and when Twisted
> has come up here on c.l.py recently.  The Twisted developers have a
> greater excess of enthusiasm for their package than do the developers of
> other large frameworks ...

[snip perceived examples of this excess]

> Now as with all such critics, I will quickly proclaim that the Twisted
> developers are excellent programmers, and the range of capabilities in
> there is fairly amazing.  But there *are* these old stories about the
> pitfalls of hubris that keep coming to mind... not that I'm advocating
> eye-gauging or anything, just moderation :-).

(My eyes are just the size I want them to be, but feel free to measure
them if you are into that kind of thing...)

I just want to point out, as one of those recently becoming a little
enthusiastic about promoting Twisted, that I am *not* one of its
developers.  I might become one, at some point, once I'm past the stage
of putting it to good use to clean up some of the past messes I've
created using those other large frameworks you mention...

I mention this as a balance point, to demonstrate that at least some
people, after experience with a handful of such beasties, are
supporting Twisted on its own merits, not just because they have
too much of their own egos bound up in it. (*)

-Peter

(*) I don't mean to say the Twisted folks promote it only, or even
at all, for such reasons, but your post might be taking as implying
that is the case.