"Newbie" questions - "unique" sorting ?

John Fitzsimons xpm4senn001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jun 18 19:52:18 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am totally new to python and want to do a few things and learn about
it at the same time, so....

(A) Is there a better newsgroup than this one for "newbies" ? If so
what is it please ?

(B) I am wanting to sort words (or is that strings ?) into a list from
a clipboard and/or file input and/or....

(C) To sort out the list of "unique" words/strings.

Input like ;

A Freeware Site - Reach Freeware
  http://reachfreeware.itgo.com/
stuff   http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/reuters20021130_26.html
          http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=medium
 http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq
www.fourmilab.ch/annoyance-filter/

Output like ;

Folder
Freeware
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/reuters20021130_26.html
http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq
http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=medium
http://reachfreeware.itgo.com/
Reach
Site
stuff
Toolbar
www.fourmilab.ch/annoyance-filter/

(D) Perhaps there is a "grep" python script that finds all http, ftp,
www (unique ?) address' in a text file ?

Can anyone here suggest the correct code for any of the above and/or
suggest where I might download a working script (program ?) to do this
please ? On a windows '98 platform.

Regards, John.