"Newbie" questions - "unique" sorting ?

kpop snag at jool.po
Wed Jun 18 20:13:34 EDT 2003

"John Fitzsimons" <xpm4senn001 at sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:vgu1fvgj3klsvvlnoedt151mh7otc1ajqn at 4ax.com...

> Hi,
>
> I am totally new to python and want to do a few things and learn about
> it at the same time, so....
>
> (A) Is there a better newsgroup than this one for "newbies" ? If so
> what is it please ?

theres a tutor mailing list setup just for people like you
and me, that you can also access via usenet on the server
news.gmane.org. The group is called
gmane.comp.python.tutor

> (B) I am wanting to sort words (or is that strings ?) into a list from
> a clipboard and/or file input and/or....
>
> (C) To sort out the list of "unique" words/strings.
>
> Input like ;
>
> A Freeware Site - Reach Freeware
>   http://reachfreeware.itgo.com/
> stuff   http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/reuters20021130_26.html
>           http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=medium
>  http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq
> www.fourmilab.ch/annoyance-filter/
>
> Output like ;

> Folder
> Freeware
> http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/reuters20021130_26.html
> http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq
> http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=medium
> http://reachfreeware.itgo.com/
> Reach
> Site
> stuff
> Toolbar
> www.fourmilab.ch/annoyance-filter/
>
> (D) Perhaps there is a "grep" python script that finds all http, ftp,
> www (unique ?) address' in a text file ?

theres a script that comes with python called rgrep
that you could probaly use to do that its in
D:\Python22\Tools\Scripts\rgrep.py
on my system