Error checking in Python

BGM no.spam at comcast.net
Tue Jun 10 02:19:26 EDT 2003

Thanks a lot to all those who took the time to reply to my question! Your
replies have helped clarify things a little and given me some food for
thought. Coming from C, my instinct was to return error codes. On some
reflection, though, I think this is not necessarily the best idea since if
someone misunderstands your function enough to pass the "wrong" arg, then
they are likely not checking for any error codes either, in which case
after the return of the function, the program my continue merrily along,
or an exception will eventually be raised by python anyway. In the former
case, the user of the function might have an extraordinarily tough time
figuring out what is wrong.

A certain aspect of the replies interests me greatly: That if one does no
type-checking, the function lends itself to previously unforseen
generalization.... E.g. if the function were meant to multiply some
number by 2: x = x * 2 in which case that is also valid even if x is a
string! I wonder whether this phenomena is found to be useful in practice?
Does anyone know?

Regards,
Gitonga Marete a.k.a BGM