wxPython vs Tkinter for imaging front end GUI???

Sean Richards someone at invalid.com
Tue Jun 3 04:18:45 EDT 2003

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:35:16 -0700, Leonard J. Reder wrote:

> I have a command line image feature recognition code and I want to put a
> quick python script on it to execute it and give it a GUI.  I need to
> read in an image (JPEG), rescale the image on a canvas sort of display,
> place mouse over it to select some coordinate points.  And then just do
> other stuff with buttons and entries.  I am confortable with TK from
> using tcl but in Tk there is not an easy way to handle scaled images on
> the canvas.  Does wxPython have this sort of functionality included?
> Has this sort of thing been done with Tkinter and PIL in Python.  Or
> perhaps PMW, Tkinter and PIL can be used.
>
> I am looking for recommendations from someone who has implemented this
> sort of thing in Python?  Any comments on which toolkit would be better
> to use for this are requested?

I coded up a simple GUI in wxPython which involved some basic image
inspection tasks. For displaying the image and inspecting pixel values
etc I used Matt Kimball's image_view module which is written in
wxPython.

http://matt.kimball.net/image_view.html

This might be a useful starting point if you want to use wxPython. It
certainly saved me a lot of grunt work.

Cheers,  Sean