does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.cix.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 12:06:32 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:15:13 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

>"To claim that the strong, static type checking constraints in C++, Java, or
>C# will prevent you from writing broken programs is clearly an illusion
>(you know this from personal experience). In fact, what we need is
>
>Strong testing, not strong typing.

Sorry, but that looks just like meaningless polemic.  Try:

>"To claim that fibre in food will prevent malnutrition is clearly an illusion
>(you know this from personal experience). In fact, what we need is
>
>vitamins, not fibre

and it's just as meaningful.  So if we're going to have meaningless
polemic, let me try mine :-)

"The choice between compile time testing and run-time testing is the
choice between the programmer finding the bugs and the customer
finding the bugs".