does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jun 16 12:02:59 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> So this, I assert, is an aspect of why Python works. C++ tests happen at
> compile time (with a few minor special cases).

I don't think of it that way.  When you write C++, you need runtime
tests, but the language can catch many of the most-trivial kinds of
errors at compile time.  It can also help understandability by
bounding the sorts of weird things that can happen without very
malicious intent.  That limits the number of things one has to
consider when reading code.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting