License Question

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Mon Jun 23 00:25:20 EDT 2003

Ben Finney wrote:

> I(ANAL) would read that clause to say so, yes.  I also believe you'll
> need to include the Python license with any distribution of Python.

Yes, I believe that I'm happy with the licenses and just want to comply
with what they require, but I can't find many examples to follow as
to what is actually required.

I guess that I'm starting to think that I'm OK with respect to Python,
since I'm not making any changes to the distro, but I'm curious now
too about the BSD licensed code that I'm using in my app, for which
I'm not distributing source.

For example: I've got Windows NT on my machine, and I know that the
FTP program that comes with WinNT is BSD or something like it from
UC.  I see that the executable has the UC copyright notice in it, OK,
but I don't see anywhere where Microsoft has given me the notice
about what I'm supposed to do when redistributing it in source or
binary form.  If they just distribute a binary, do they have
to include the notice about source redistributions?  Wouldn't that
confuse the users?

In my case, my program uses the csv and win32 modules, which look
to be BSD licenses.  Does that constitute a redistribution in binary
form according to the license?  I think that it does.  So if I
put in the copyright notices and notices about redistribution in
source and binary form for each module that I use, how does my
user know which parts of the exe each of these notices covers?

Al