License Question

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Mon Jun 23 00:58:38 EDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:25:20 -0700, achrist at easystreet.com wrote:
> I guess that I'm starting to think that I'm OK with respect to Python,
> since I'm not making any changes to the distro, but I'm curious now
> too about the BSD licensed code that I'm using in my app, for which
> I'm not distributing source.

Why not?  Even if the license doesn't require you to distribute source,
why not simply distribute the source?  The BSD license certainly
*allows* it, and I'd hope you want your users to have the same freedom
you had.

The BSD license is not a copyleft; you can redistribute under a more
restrictive license than the one under which it was distributed to you.
I hope you don't, but my understanding of the BSD license says you may.

Really, though, if you want to be safe, get some proper legal advice
from a copyright lawyer; otherwise, you're taking your chances on the
word of some people on Usenet you've never met and who specifically
disclaim lawyerhood.

If it's not worth your time or money to get legal advice, then do *more*
than the license requires; distribute source to your users where you're
allowed to.  That's what keeps the whole free software thing alive.

--
 \       "Firmness in decision is often merely a form of stupidity. It |
  `\    indicates an inability to think the same thing out twice."  -- |